Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A day in Cleveland


I believe my decision to come through Ohio on my way to Oregon was a good one. As I crossed over the Ohio line yesterday evening, I saw a rainbow in the sky. It was schweet and those who know me know i'm all about symbolism and irony! I'm visiting my good friends Mindy & Andy in Cleveland. Mindy and I have been friends since we were 5; Andy and I have been friends since college. The two met when Mindy came to visit me and destiny shined its smile upon them ... um.. sort of. There's a lot of destiny between me and my closest friends...  wait until you hear about destiny glaring down on my Colorado friends Chris & Iggy... 

Mindy is a talented potter. She makes amazing ceramics and has a big show coming up this weekend at the Crosby Garden Arts Show in Toledo. She put me to work last night helping her glaze some of her pieces. Right now those pieces are in the kiln downstairs so i have to wait until later tonight to seee if my palette for glazes was a success or not. You can see Mindy's work at www.mindysand.com

While Mindy was in a class today Andy took me around Cleveland. We kicked the day off at Chagrin Falls a cute middle america downtown with a waterfall. From there, we went to Lakeview cemetary because that place is home to some serious celebs, like assassinated president Garfield, Eliot Ness, and Rockfeller. We left a dime at Rock's grave, I guess for posterity ... not that the dude needs it.  I didn't have a camera on me here so thank you teacher Holly from flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/teacherholly/1935158822/in/set-72157600341381383/.

Touring a cemetery can make you hungry so we made our way to  Little Italy where we had some oh so tasty pizza at Mama Santa Pizzeria. And for dessert: The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame which didn't allow picture but if you are ever within 100 miles of this place GO! It's worth the drive and the $22 to get in, from the whacky outfits of various artists to the inspiration behind 'The Wall', in the words and writing of Roger Waters. During the cool movie about every single person ever inducted so far i started to wonder if i had gotten any emails from work (CNN) and then realized I don't work there anymore! That was a little weird.

Tomorrow i'm off to Toledo to hang with the family for a week - with a possible stop in Columbus to see my childhood friend Julie - and then off to my soon to be new home, Oregon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment